Saturday, August 16, 2008

A partner's view of DBS

Allow me to introduce myself. I am Ann Glowienke the other half of Focus on a Cure. I wanted to start my own blog from my perspective on Ken's upcoming DBS surgery.

I must admit that I knew someday surgery would be the next step but I couldn't have been any less prepared to hear those words the day the Neurologist told us it was time. I remember it like it was yesterday.

We were sitting in her office going through the usual questions, joking about Ken's addictive mirapex induced behavior and then WHAM "you need to see Dr. Verhagen" (the DBS surgeon) I wasn't sure what to try to hide first, my jaw dropping wide open or the tears welling up it my eyes. I knew this was not the time for my emotions to run wild and that I needed to be strong for Ken.

I sat and listened to the rest of what the doctor had to say, asked a few questions and prepared in my head what our conversation would be on the way home. I knew how scared I was and I could only imagine Ken's fear as well.

We were pretty quiet walking out to the car trying to digest what we had just been told. On the way home Ken asked me "so what do you think" I immediately answered "if this is the next step and it will help you, I'm in"

I began researching the procedure, side effects and risks. I wanted to know as much as possible. We have gone to both appointments with the doctors that will be performing the procedure.I felt very positive after having the chance to meet them both and discuss the details. At this point I am as comfortable as I am going to be.

If I said I wasn't terrified I would be lying. I ask a million questions to myself everyday. I often watch Ken and wonder will he be the same? I tell myself everything is going to be fine because we have a mission to find a cure, and we are not there yet. This is probably one of the most frightening experiences of my life. I am so excited for Ken and the chance for him to be tremor free. I see him struggle everyday and nothing hurts my heart more. I know this is not about me but we are a package deal. It is very hard as his partner not being able to help him. It it extremely frustrating knowing there is nothing I can do. I am so proud of Ken,as he continues to fight this horrible disease with integrity.

I am so lucky to have Ken as my partner and best friend. I will always support him and be here for him in ANY capacity he needs me to be. I am looking forward to this surgery and the benefits it will offer him. From the time Ken was diagnosed I never thought twice about what we would do to help find a cure. Starting the Focus on a Cure Foundation for Parkinson's is one of my greatest achievements marrying Ken is the other.

Keep us in your thoughts,
Ann
"True love is like a tattoo, it lasts forever" AG 2008

6 comments:

Ideliza said...

I am so proud of you two. You both have such an amazing strength, and my family and I admire that. You both is what keeps dad strong, and with faith that there will be a cure. I know how you feel Ann, because we had so many emotions when dad was first talked about the surgery. He admits that he was scared, but now is determined. We have told him, that if this is what he wants to do then we support him all the way. We know Ken will come out great, and having you by his side through this makes it so much easier for him, and gives him so much strength. We are here for you both always, and will continue with you on the search of a cure, but mainly on staying FOCUSED!!!

With Love, Ideliza & Fam.

Kim Marie said...

Ann,

I am so thankful to say that I know you both, you both are an inspiration to all Parkinsons's Couples. You both have the true love and friendship that all marriages long to have. I
know that God will watch you and Ken. We will keep you both in our prayers and I know that the surgery will work out great. We feel as if we have been friends forever. Today felt like it was friends at first sight I know that sounds crazy, but that was how we felt.
Thank you both for letting us be apart of your lives.

Love,
Mr. & Mrs. Parkie Dorks from IN

Sandra said...

Dear Ann,

I have only been in the company of both of you twice. In the sort period of time, I saw what real love is between two people. Something, unfortuately, one doesn't see every day. Because of your deep love, being scared is such an understatement. I have much faith that all will be well. You are both angels....and god looks after his angels.

My love and prayers to your both,
Sandra

Unknown said...

Ann

What I say here probably mimics what others have said and will say. I am very proud of you and Ken. I know this isn't an easy step to take. I remember the day my father was told it was time for him to be evaluated for DBS surgery. Of course I don't know from a wife's perspective how it feels, only from a daughter's perspective. I understand the emotions that you have gone through and that you will continue to go through. You and Ken are two of the absolute most amazing people I've ever met in my life. Although I knew this about you two well before I met you both in person, to see you in person was amazing. To see the love you share for one another is simply wonderful. The love you both showed to me and my mother during a very rough time in both our lives was great. It was with your help, with Ken's help I was able to get through that rough time and I am grateful to you both for a lifetime, for that, as well as for opening your hearts to us that first time meeting us. I say these things to show you what strength and power you give others and what admiration people have for you. You will give Ken strength to get through this and he will give you that samw strength. I am here for you both and will be sending prayers and postive vibes your way, as always. With love, admiration, and much respect Kaz

Prince Arnold said...

I was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease nearly 4 years ago, at age 51. I had a stooped posture, tremors, muscle stiffness, sleeplessness, and slow movement. I was placed on Sinemet for 7 months and then Sifrol and rotigotine were introduced which replaced the Sinemet but I had to stop due to side effects. I tried every shots available but nothing working. I read a lot of website where people who shared their testimonies kept mentioning Herbal medicine. I searched for a blog on herbal medicine for parkinson's. I just followed the website of Doctor that was shared on these testimonies. Since i started with the PD herbal treatment, i'm happy to report feeling better overall, the tremors seized, more energy and better coping with everyday life. My walk became steady and I stopped shaking. My energy improved. I am 90%better. I am confident I will be cured for more info contact dr.lewisamenico@yahoo.com

Esther Yacine said...


My husband was diagnosed with early onset Parkinson's disease at 57.his symptoms were shuffling of feet,slurred speech, low volume speech, degradation of hand writing, horrible driving skills, right arm held at 45 degree angle, things were tough for me, but now he finally free from the disease with the help of total cure ultimate herbal clinic, he now walks properly and all symptoms has reversed, he had trouble with balance especially at night, getting into the shower and exiting it is difficult,getting into bed is also another thing he finds impossible.we had to find a better solution for his condition which has really helped him a lot,the biggest helped we had was ultimate herbal clinic. they walked us through the proper steps,am highly recommended this www.ultimateherbalclinic.com to anyone who needs help.